UiB, Seksjon for humanistisk informatikk [http://cmc.uib.no/carsten, firstname.lastname@example.org]
Presentation notes from the seminar Cyber.* -- 24./25. October in Bergen.
This page is the raw html-export of my presentation notes. They were organised in BrainForest, an hierarchical outliner (www.aportis.com), and I tried the application as a presentation tool as well.
The main part of this talk was the presentation of my research project. Inspired by the playfulness of the seminar title (cyber.*), I decided in an introductory part to 'survey' whether my research field qualifies for the title of 'cyberlearning'...
- cyber.* [wildcard, stars]
- cyber.learning [!-- this part is the 'aside' --]
"... free online computer training, free online it training, free it training scholarship. Cyberlearning provides the most cost-effective, high-quality, user-friendly, web-based ..."
==> The referred page doesn't exist
- social agenda / equal opportunities / 'open source'
Cyberlearning University (www.cyberlearning.org)
To bridge the Digital Divide, the growing gap between the information rich and the information poor, especially among women, minorities, and lower income individuals.
To provide computer, Information Technology (IT) and management training for a million disadvantaged individuals"
- eLearning, net-based /web-based learning, online-learning, virtual learning, flexible learning, distance learning,
- why not: myLearning or iLearning???
- alternative interpretation (without the 'e' )
- a study technique that emphasizes the dialogic structure of learning
"CyberLearning begins with dialoguing: the process of asking a specific cycle of questions of the material you're studying. Gradually, by organizing and reorganizing the information, and by making connections between the new material and what you already know, you build genuine understanding (p. 35)." (Adam Robinson, What Smart Students Know.)
- high level of activity in the field, high expectations, "next killer application of the internet"
- but also a lack of (coherent) concepts
- need for a 'reflective phase'?
"Not long ago, technology had difficulty keeping pace with imagination. Now, it's rushing along and needs some real good input from creative minds"
- Motto of Nordic Interactive Conference, 2001
"So What?", "What's next?"
- Titles of ITU-conferences 2000 and 2001
- cyber.learning.environments [!-- here begins the presentation of my project --]
- empirical background
- Dreistadt/CALLMOO-project at UiB
- LINGO - national network
- developped ICT-based study modules / environments) for language studies
- empirical material / data
- large corpus of transcriptions of online-activities
- texts / artefacts / learning resources
- evaluation reports, minor surveys
- grades, exams
- How does ICT-based dialogue influence the development of
- language skills / competencies
- knowledge construction
- concepts 'dialogue' and 'discourse'
- learning theory: socio-cultural, 'situated'
- language learning
- questions & comments
- project description (in Norwegian): http://cmc.uib.no/carsten/omtale.html